Friday, August 14, 2009

July, wow what a month.

July has been the most amazing month. I received a Visual Artist Fellowship from the Mississippi Arts Commission, participated in a three person show at the Mississippi Craft Center, had a piece accepted at Satchmo Fest in New Orleans, had fun in New Orleans, etc. It looks like things are starting to turn around.

Oh, I won an award of merit at Jubilee Jam in Jackson, learned a valuable lesson, if the judges don't come in your tent KEEP YOUR MOUTH SHUT. I almost didn't win, because I whined about them not coming in my tent. Though in my defense, they did go in both tents on either side of me and fawned all over them and barely said "boo" to me. Plus it was hotter than three kinds of hell, that day. Though there was electricity and was able to use a fan, so as an artist I was very comfortable, I imagine the crowd that did come were miserable. I didn't set the world on fire with sales, but I did much better than I had thought I would. It was a win-win situation, I'll be back, just have it during the Spring or Fall, Please.

The Visual Arts Fellowship is a grant from the Mississippi Arts Commission with funding from the National Endowment for the Arts. Thank you so much for this wonderful opportunity, I can now buy supplies and equipment, that I've needed but couldn't afford. As a matter of fact, I'm having hard time trying to decide how to use the money, but I'm sure I'll come up with something. There will be a show next year sometime at the MAC offices in the Woolfolk building in Jackson.

The show at the Craft Center was titled "A Place Like Mississippi," with works by Rhonda Blasingame, art quilts, Carmen Gettis-Castilla, candle artisan and former ARTichoke partner and myself. Our reception was the night of July 2 and we had the most amazing crowd, it was fantastic, at least I think it was. I was SO tired from setting up that day, that I was barely able to function and socialize. Rhonda's sister made the most fantastic food, all southern themed of course, tomato sandwiches, black-eyed pea salsa, shrimp & grits and watermelon. Our work reflected our love of Mississippi, Rhonda did quilts with Elvis, Pinetop Perkins and various Mississippi scenes. Carmen made her beautiful art candles with scents evocative of Mississippi, plus a cool hat and batik. I made shrines to Mississippi artist and authors. We wanted to show all the tourists that come through the center, the things that make Mississippi great.

No comments: